While completing my PhD at Waikato University (2012-2016), I established people+science. This consultancy specialises in projects that sit at the interface between science and the public, as well as community-led conservation. I bring project development, coordination, facilitation and science communication skills to the table.
Between 2015 – 2018, I co-designed and co-delivered the NZ Landcare Trust-led ‘Citizen science meets environmental restoration’ project. The project began with a series of working group meetings (Nelson and Christchurch, Palmerston North and Auckland) to build networks of those both active in citizen science and those interested in developing projects together. Barriers and opportunities for progressing citizen science in New Zealand were investigated. The following year saw field trips to gain greater insight into projects followed by training events in year 3. A series of case studies were prepared along with a comprehensive Inventory of Projects, Programmes, Resources and Learning Opportunities. The project concluded with a symposium #CitSciNZ2018 which attracted nearly 100 attendees and was preceeded by 7 workshop on ecological monitoring for community members.
Key contracts 2016-2019 include:
- Facilitation of co-design workshop series to support the development of a new environmental funding strategy for Auckland Council (Client: Auckland Council)
- Reviewing the Landscape of ‘Conservation Community Hubs’ and the Nature Space website (Client: Department of Conservation)
- Communications and social research for Flip the Fleet citizen science project on Electric Vehicle uptake in NZ (Client: Flip the Fleet)
- Design and co-delivery of the 3-yr MfE funded ‘Citizen Science meets environmental restoration’ project (Client: NZ Landcare Trust).
- Design for a ‘Biodiversity Monitoring Guide for Auckland Community Groups’ in partnership with Groundtruth Associates and Papawera Geological (Client: Auckland Council)
- Planning and coordination of a 2-day BioBlitz – a public science event at a wetland sanctuary in the Waikato (Client: Landcare Research/Manaaki Whenua)
- Co-development of a Citizen Science Framework (Client: Waikato Regional Council)
I am also currently Board member of New Zealand’s longest running and largest independent conservation organisation Forest & Bird NZ